- Friday 6 May attending a tree-planting ceremony at Branches Hostel on Forest Road
- Saturday 7 May joining Hoe St councillors for a drop in surgery at the cafe on the corner of Orford road and wingfield Road in Walthamstow village at 12pm. All Hoe Street residents are welcome to attend.
- Sunday 8 May appearing on the BBC London Politics Show discussing the outcomes of the local elections in England and on Radio Five Live in the evening to discuss the week’s events with Jon Pienaar.
- Monday 9 May participating in the Public Accounts Committee’s scrutiny of the InterCity East Cost rail franchise
- Tuesday 10 May attending the first two sessions of the Finance Bill Committee. See below for details.
- Wednesday 11 May participating in the Public Accounts Committee’s session on rail regulation and the debates for the report stage of the Education Bill.
- Thursday 12 May attending the next two sessions of the Finance Bill Committee
- Friday 13 May meeting with the panel of local representatives who scrutinise my budget as the MP for Walthamstow.
- Saturday 14 May campaigning outside the MoneyShop in Walthamstow . See below for details.
Are the MoneyShop Legal Loan Sharks? Walthamstow Consultation Saturday 14 May 2011
The Money Shop recently took a housing association to the Advertising Standards Authority to be censured for putting out a leaflet warning their tenants about the rates of interest charged by these companies and calling the Money Shop loan sharks in the process. As part of my work on the impact of such high cost credit lenders on our community I want to know if local people think this is fair. That’s why on Saturday 14 May between 12pm until 2pm I will be outside their regional headquarters which are in Walthamstow at 187 Hoe Street (opposite Walthamstow Central Station) asking residents if they think what the Moneyshop do could be called legal loan sharking and, if so, if it should be better regulated to protect the poorest consumers in our society. I will then share the results of this survey with the Moneyshop and ask them to respond to the views expressed. If you would like to join me in helping to conduct this survey, and at the same time raise awareness of our fantastic local credit union which offers affordable credit to those not able to borrow from banks please do get in touch.